Born at Chittagong (India) on
the 15th of May, 1838, Dr. Medlycott, had a
distinguished educational career in India and later in
the Propaganda Fide College, Rome, where he took his
Ph.D. Ordained Priest on 17th of March, 1861, he was
nominated titular Bishop of Tricomia and Vicar
Apostolic of Trichur on 13th of September, 1887,
consecrated Bishop on 11th December, 1887, by H.E.
Mgr. Aiuti, the Delegate Apostolic and took charge of
the Vicariate on 18th December, 1887. He led the
Vicariate till 1896.
Dr. Medlycott spent his last days in Bangalore where
he breathed his last on 4th of May, 1918. His mortal
remains were brought from Bangalore and re-interred
first in the Dolours Church, Trichur on 4th May, 1945
and later in the crypt of the Lourdes Cathedral,
Trichur on 19th December, 1950 by Mar George Alapatt.
JOHN MENACHERRY (1896 - 1919)
Born at Njarackal on 12th of
June, 1857 and ordained priest on 11th of August,
1883, Fr. John Menacherry was the Secretary to Mar
Medlycott. On 11th August 1896, he was nominated
titular bishop of Parlus and Vicar Apostolic of
Trichur. He was consecrated Bishop on 25th of October
the same year at Kandy, by the Delegate Apostolic H.
Dr. Zaleski and took charge of the Vicariate of
Trichur on November 4th of the same year. In 1911 Dr. Menacherry made his "Ad Limina"
Visit to Rome. After 23 years of
service Dr. Menacherry slept in the Lord
on 19th of December, 1919, and was interred in the
crypt of Lourde's Cathedral.
Dr. Francis Vazhapilly was born on 18th
of May, 1878 at Puthenvelikara, ordained priest on 22nd
December, 1906, nominated titular bishop of Philadelphia and
Vicar Apostolic of Trichur on 5th April, 1921. He was
consecrated bishop on 6th of July of the same year in the
Lourde's Cathedral by the Delegate Apostolic H. Ex. Dr. Peter
Pisani and took charge on the same day. On 21st December, 1923,
when the Syro-Malabar Hierarchy was established, Dr. Francis
Vazhapilly became the first bishop of the Eparchy of Trichur. In
1929 he made his " Ad Limina" Visit to Rome. He passed away on
12th May, 1942, and his body was laid to rest in the Basilica of
our Lady of Dolours, Trichur. In 1999 a part of his mortal
remains was brought to Lourde's Metropolitan Cathedral and
interred in its crypt.
ALAPATT (1944 - 1970)
Born on 11th of February 1900at
Karanchira, Dr. George Alapatt had his college education at St.
Thomas' College, Trichur and his ecclesiastical education at the
Propaganda Fide College, Rome, where he took his PhD and S.T.D.
He was ordained priest on 17th of December, 1927 and nominated
Bishop of Trichur on 11th March, 1944. He was consecrated Bishop
on 1st of May, 1944 at Trichur by H. Ex. Dr. Leo P. Kierkels,
the Apostolic Delegate, and on the same day he took charge of
the Eparchy. He attended all the four Sessions of the Vatican
Council II (1962 - 1965). In 1967 the University of Detroit
conferred on him the Honorary Degree of Doctor in Human Letters.
In 1969, on the occasion of his Episcopal Silver Jubilee, H. H.
Pope Paul VI nominated him as "assistant at the Papal Throne".
He retired on 4th June, 1970, and was appointed titulaishop of
Irenopolis in Isauria. He continued as administrator of the
Eparchy till 16th August 1970.
While he was taking rest at Sarto Sadan, Karanchira, on 6th of
Nov-ember, 1973, he slept in the Lord and in accordance with his
desire his body was interred at St. Pius X Chapel in Karanchira.
On 10th Feb. 1999 a part of his mortal remains was brought from
Karanchira and interred in the crypt of the Metropolitan
KUNDUKULAM (1970 - 1997)
Born on 26th of September, 1917 at
Parappur, Mar Joseph Kundukulam had his ecclesiastical studies
at St. Joseph's Pontifical Seminary, Aluva. He was ordained
priest on the 20th of December, 1942. Ever since his ordination
he got immersed in the pastoral ministry till he was nominated
Bishop. He was the director of St. Anne's Charitable Institute
from 1958 to1970. He started St. Christina's Home, Pullazhy, a
rehabilitation center for Unwedded mothers, in the Year 1967. He
dedicated his life for the service of the poor and is widely
acknowledged as "father of the poor". He was an excellent
retreat preacher who emphasizes that Christianity is truly a
joining together of earth with heaven. He was an apostle of
Christ who is concerned with Man's Heavenly and earthly good. In
a changing world he raised his mind above the changing
conditions of earthly existence to the rights of eternal life
which will be consummated in unending happiness and peace.
Nominated Bishop of Trichur by Pope Paul VI on 4th of June 1970
and consecrated on 16th of August 1970 by Bishop
he took charge of the Eparchy on the same day. In 1995 he was
nominated the first Metropolitan Archbishop of Trichur by Pope
John Paul II and was installed on 27th August 1995 by His
Beatitude Major Archbishop Antony Cardinal Padiyara. He retired
on 15th Feb 1997.
Самая подробная информация Parimatch ayna на нашем сайте.
He took rest at St. Christina's Home, Pullzhy and died during
his visit to Mission stations in Africa on 26th April 1998 at
Wamba in Kenya. He was interred in the crypt of Lourde's
Metropolitan Cathedral on 29th April 1998.
Archbishop Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhy was
born at Vilakumadam in the Eparchy of Palai on December 13,
1930. At present his family belongs to the Sacred Heart Parish,
Thiruvambady in the Eparchy of Thamarassery. He had his seminary
studies at the St. Joseph's Pontifical Seminary, Alwaye and
Pontifical Urban University, Rome. After ordination he continued
his studies in Rome and took his Doctorate in Canon and Civil
Law from the Lateran University, Rome. On coming back he was
appointed secretary of Mar Sebastian Vallopilly the then Bishop
of Thalassery and Chancellor of the same Eparchy. Later he was
appointed Rector of the Eparchial Minor Seminary at Tellicharry.
After a few years he resumed his studies at Fordham University,
NewYork from where he holds a Masters degree in English
Soon after his
return from the United States of America he was again
appointed Rector of the Eparchial Minor Seminary, Tellicherry and worked there
until his nomination as the first Bishop of the newly
erected Eparchy of Mananthavady in 1973. He was ordained
Bishop on May 1st, 1973 by the late Joseph Cardinal
Parecattil assisted by late Mar Sebastian Vayalil and Mar
Sebastian Valloppilly. The Bishop took charge of the
diocese on the same day. He served the Eparchy of Manathavady
for 22 Years.
On 7th June,
1995 he was appointed bishop of Thamarassery and took charge of his
office on 28 July 1995. On 18th Dec. 1996, he was appointed
Archbishop of Trichur and was installed on Feb. 15, 1997. Marymatha Major Seminary, Jubilee Mission Medical College,
Jeevan TV., Jyothi Engineering College, Mahajubilee
Training College (B.Ed. College), etc. are some of his
pioneering contributions to the Catholic Church and
society. He retired from the office on 18th March 2007 and
stays at St. Mary's Minor Seminary, Madona Nagar, Trichur.